Advanced Diagnostic Tools
Panoramic X-ray Machine
Besides the regular x-rays we also take a digital panoramic x-ray on all patients.
This x-ray allows us with minimal x-ray exposure to visualize the entire upper and lower jaw and all teeth.
Other than giving an overview of the mouth, the panoramic x-ray is particularly helpful in:
- Diagnosing Impacted wisdom teeth
- Orthodontic Evaluation (Pre and Post Operative)
- Diagnosing source of pain or cavities
- Visualizing periodontal bone loss
- Evaluating infections in teeth and bone.
- Evaluating any pathologic or tumor in bone.
- Diagnosing trauma and/or fractures.
- Evaluating placement of dental implants.
Panoramic X-rays are taken on same appointment as your dental cleaning. You will be required to remove all facial jewelry and earrings. The process takes 2-3 minutes.
Traditionally, dentists use x-rays to find out what’s going on below the surface, developing them in a darkroom full of chemicals, and examining the resulting films on a special light board.
Digital radiography entirely outmodes that cumbersome process. Now, a tiny sensor placed in the mouth acts like a miniature VCR camera with an x-ray sensitive chip, exposing you to 50%-90% less radiation exposure than with traditional x-ray techniques.
The resulting highly detailed image of your mouth is almost instantaneously translated onto our computer screen, carrying with it all the conveniences of other digitized images. We can rotate it, magnify it, adjust it for contrast, and even color-code it for educational purposes. Because it helps our patients clearly understand the root issues behind their dental health, we’re able to work together to determine the very best treatment options for each case.
Intra oral Cameras
This wonderful new technology allows you to relax in your chair while simultaneously observing a real-time pictures of the inside of your mouth magnified beyond normal size on an adjacent computer monitor! Not only does this make it simple to see and understand what the doctor is telling you, but it makes it simple for us to keep incredibly accurate records from one visit to the next.
Reliable, Accurate Caries Detection Aid
More and more patients place value on healthy and attractive teeth. In order to maintain them, the earliest possible care is essential. DIAGNOdent aids in the detection of caries. Even very small lesions and incipient caries can be detected, enabling you to protect and preserve the tooth substance.
Benefits to you, the patient
- Permits use of minimally invasive treatments.
- Is conservative by avoiding “exploratory” cutting of suspect teeth.
- Extremely accurate diagnostic aid. Proven to be over 90% accurate.
- Early detection cavities that are undiagnosed by other examination methods
- No scratching probe: simple, fast and painless examination.
- Increases operator and patient confidence about treatment decisions due to accurate visual and acoustic representation of measured values.
- No x-ray exposure
- High level of patient acceptance and satisfaction.
Velscope Cancer Screening Machine
The VELscope system helps Chino Hills dental professionals visualize abnormalities in the mucosal tissues of your lips, mouth and upper throat. In just two minutes, with no rinses, stains or discomfort, a VELscope examination lets healthcare professionals improve their assessment of your overall oral health.
Make sure that your mouth is as healthy as it can possibly be. The next time you visit your dentist or hygienist, ask for a VELscope exam.
How Does the VELscope Work?
The VELscope’s blue light “excites” molecules (called “fluorophores”) deep within the layers of oral mucosal tissues. In turn, those fluorophores emit their own light (fluorescence), in shades of green, yellow and red. The VELscope’s proprietary filter makes fluorescence visualization possible, by blocking reflected blue light, and by enhancing the contrast between normal and abnormal tissue.
Quick and easy:
- Part of the intra oral or extra oral exam.
- Takes 1-2 minutes
- Completely non-invasive
- No rinses or dyes
- If any lesion is found it can be photo documented.
Approximately 36,540 Americans will be diagnosed with cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx in 2010. During the same time period 7,880 Americans will die of oral cancer.*
One of the VELscope system’s most important tasks is to help identify areas that might, if not identified and treated, progress to oral cancer. The statistics below, from the National Cancer Institute’s SEER Database, 1999-2006, are a compelling argument for regular VELscope exams:
- Found early, while still Localized (confined to the primary site), oral cancer’s five-year survival rate is good: about 83%. Only 33% of all oral cancer discoveries fall into this category.
- Found while Regional (progressed to regional lymph nodes) the five-year survival rate drops significantly, to about 55%. Approximately 46% of all oral cancer discoveries are Regional.
- Found late, oral cancer’s five-year survival rate is poor: approximately 32%. This accounts for approximately 14% of all oral cancer findings.
Clearly, finding oral cancer in its early stages is key to survival. The VELscope Vx offers hope for the early discovery of oral precancers and cancers, by providing your Chino Hills dentist or hygienist with visual information that may not be apparent under ordinary light.